House Fire Tragedy
Posted on 25th January 2012
Elderly woman dies in house fire after smoke alarm had no batteries
Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service issued an urgent warning to the public to check their smoke alarm after a fatal house fire.
The warning came after an elderly woman was found dead in her Market Drayton home on Monday 23rd January.
This devastating event has drawn attention to the issue of protecting vulnerable elderly people from fire-related deaths, after the fire alarms in the house were found without working batteries.
Statistics show that around 167 people over the age of 65 die each year in fires to which brigades are called. It’s claimed that the high fire-related death rates of the elderly result from poor mobility, lesser sense of smell and a reduced tolerance of smoke and burns. Additionally experts relate the fatalities to the greater number of risk-sources in home of the elderly such as cookers, highy-flamable materials, candles, coal fires, heaters and electric blankets.
Fire And Rescue Service are working to help older people remain safe in their homes, and urge the public to help make sure their relatives, friends and neighbors all have smoke alarms fitted, with working batteries.